Did you know that young people ages 15-24 account for 50% of the 20 million new STI’s diagnosed each year? In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), teens and college-aged adults hold the highest annual percentages of new gonorrhea cases (70%) and chlamydia cases (63%).
If you are sexually active, you should be screened regularly. Many sexually transmitted infections often have no symptoms, but are still highly contagious and pose health risks if left untreated. Here’s a list of some of the most common STI/STD’s and the symptoms that could accompany them:
- One of the most common STI’s. Though it may present with no symptoms at all, you could experience abnormal vaginal discharge, pain/burning while urinating, and men may have pain or swelling in one or both testicles.
- Chlamydia can be treated with antibiotics, but you can become infected again. Left untreated, it can cause infertility and/or Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Another one of the most common STI’s. It may present without symptoms, but you could experience abnormal vaginal discharge, pain/burning while urinating, and women may bleed between periods.
- Gonorrhea can be treated with antibiotics, but you can become infected again. Left untreated, it can increase the risk of PID. Strains of gonorrhea are becoming increasingly resistant to antibiotics.
- Herpes can sometimes present with mild to no symptoms, but people commonly experience flu-like symptoms, swollen glands, and blisters or sores on/or around genitals or mouth. It can be contracted even if your partner does not have visible blisters or sores.
- Herpes cannot be cured. Medication can provide relief and reduce the number of outbreaks.
Various other tests may be recommended based on your concerns about possible exposure as well as an overall assessment of your risk for infections. You will receive results of most tests within one week of your testing appointment and our licensed healthcare provider can prescribe treatment for most infections. If you require treatment for an STI/STD, you are encouraged to notify recent partners so they can be tested and treated.
All appointments and tests are 100% confidential with no insurance claims or traces.
Our Free & Low-Cost Lab Fees
|Chlamydia & Gonorrhea Combo||$20|
|BV (bacterial vaginosis)||Free|